Mixed Methods Functions in MAXQDA
(One hour lunch break)
Am Schillertheater 235039 Berlin
240 €120 € reduced
The workshop starts with a closer look at document variables, which are the crucial element for any mixed methods analysis in MAXQDA. The following parts focus on frequently used Mixed Methods features and especially these questions:
- How to compare groups of data with a crosstab or segment matrix?
- How to discover coding patterns with the configuration table?
- How to compare several documents with each other based on code occurrence/frequencies and variable values?
- How to use the new “Stats” module for basic statistics, frequency tables or diagrams?
- What is the added value of the new “Stats” module?
This workshop consists of a mixture of demonstrations and guided practice, focusing on the practical knowledge required for using MAXQDA for Mixed Methods analysis and provides adequate opportunities for questions.
- Introduction to document variables as a crucial tool for mixed-methods-analyses with MAXQDA
- Using cross tabs and segment matrices, especially to compare sub-groups
- Noticing patterns in configuration table
- Similarity analysis for documents
- Using joint displays to integrate qualitative and quantitative data
- Using the module „Stats“
After completing this workshop, participants will have a deeper understanding of using document variables for Mixed Methods analysis in MAXQDA with the new module “Stats”. They are able to create frequency tables and diagrams and to compare groups of data based on codes and code frequencies with crosstabs and the segment matrix. They also know how to investigate code patterns with the configuration table and how to run a similarity analysis for documents.
After the workshop everybody will be able to judge which (research) question can be answered with which Mixed Methods feature in MAXQDA.
For anyone who is interested to learn which features MAXQDA offers for mixed methods research and how to use them.
Knowledge of the MAXQDA Basic features according to MAXQDA 12 – Starter Complete Workshop, including being familiar with the interface, add documents to the project, coding procedures, retrieve coded segments, create and use document variables.
A certain understanding of statistics eases the handling of the mixed methods functions.
All participants need a notebook with the actual version of MAXQDA 12 „Analytics Pro“ (incl. “Stats” module). The demo version which is valid for 14 days and includes all functions of MAXQDA is sufficient. There will only be few portable licenses of MAXQDA at the workshop. Please notice the system requirements.
Daniel Rasch is a post-doctoral researcher in political science at the Ruhr-University Bochum. He received his PhD on a mixed methods analysis of lobbyists‘ success in the European Union. He focuses on the quantification of qualitative data. Newest publications cover the identification of frames and arguments in political communication. He is an experienced MAXQDA lecturer since 2012.